Note from the editor: When Outlands approached us with the idea of either making a Brit Pop or a Goth themed mix, it was a much harder choice than I’d like to admit, but I think I made the right call on this one. Decide for yourself. Here are a few words from the artists, by way of introduction.
GOTH TALK WITH OUTLANDS MIXTAPE
What is goth?
Two kids on a Tampa public access channel, black hair dye boxes stashed in a bathroom corner and oversized leather jacket on a chair, pockets filled with drugstore red lipstick, darker-than-night eyeliner, and a baggie of Count Chocula. A pulsing club called Helter Skelter, with smoke machine haze and cobweb-clearing dancing by legs clad in 20-eyelet Dr. Martens and more crushed velvet than a craft store clearance sale. Cinnabon by day, proprietress of the dark arts by night.
The guiding principle was this: Could it have been a goth night in the club without it?
You might be seeing this mix during hours lit by the sun. Why don’t you hold off a bit. Wait until night falls. Draw the curtains, grab a chalice of red wine, and goth the fuck out.
1. This Mortal Coil – Strength of Strings
2. Fad Gadget – Lady Shave
3. Virgin Prunes – Baby Turns Blue
4. Tones on Tail – Performance
5. The Young Gods – Did You Miss Me?
6. Siouxsie & the Banshees – Red Light
7. Death in June – Come Before Christ and Murder Love
8. Nina Hagen – Born in Xixax
9. Danielle Dax – Big Hollow Man
10. X-Mal Deutschland – Incubus Succubus II
11. The Cramps – Human Fly
12. Marc & the Mambas – Black Heart
13. The Chameleons UK – Swamp Thing
14. Visage – Fade to Grey (Dance Mix)
Submitted by Outlands